There is only one window outlet, so you can only hook up one object as the window's delegate. I am currently running into a similar issue with a text field delegate. See the discussion in the thread "[iPhone] Why can't a UITextField be its own delegate?"

My solution, which has stirred some controversy, is to re-route the delegate internally so that I can achieve a measure of "delegation chaining" in such a way that, from the outside, it still looks like there is only one delegate.

(The thread is actually about a possible bug in the iPhone SDK, but it has veered into a discussion of the pros and cons of my approach)