On Jul 25, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Jay Reynolds Freeman wrote:

On Jul 25, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Kyle Sluder provided a variety
of extremely helpful and pertinent comments:

> I'm also pretty sure you don't want to use - setApplicationIconImage:. > That will cause all occasions of your app icon, including places that > use +[NSImage imageNamed:] with an @"NSApplicationIcon" parameter, to
> display your customized icon.  This is not the behavior your users
> will expect.

Kyle, I read you loud and clear, or at least I think I do, but the behavior you describe for the app icon image in the dock is not what I am seeing. I
am running my application now, with my bitmap-hacking code in place,
and it has passed the point where the modified NSImage has been
passed to -setApplicationIconImage: .  The icon in the dock has indeed
changed to the modified version, but when I look at other places where
I expect the unmodified icon to show up, I still see the unmodified
icon.

You're seeing the documented behavior for setApplicationIconImage:, as I read TFM:

"This method sets the icon in the dock application tile. This method scales the image as necessary so that it fits in the dock tile. You can use this method to change your application icon while running. To restore your application’s original icon, you pass nil to this method."

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSApplication_Class/Reference/Reference.html