On Jul 27, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Brad Gibbs wrote:

I've looked through the docs and Googled, but may not be looking for the right terms.

Are there change notifications for the iTunes database? I'd like to have an iTunes client on a different machine on the local network be notified of changes, rather than having to poll and reload the database regularly.

  Short answer: No.

Long answer: You can get around this, but you won't get instantaneous notifications. iTunes maintains an XML PLIST representation of the database for third-party developers to latch onto for reading only. Using FSEvents for Leopard and above (or UKKQueue for Tiger and before), you can watch this file for changes and respond accordingly.

Caveat: This doesn't work on network volumes. You'll have to have the local machine monitoring for the changes and notifying any interested parties (clients) over the network.

--
I.S.