Le 31 juil. 09 à 11:30, Alastair Houghton a écrit :

On 31 Jul 2009, at 01:04, BareFeet wrote:

The documentation notes: "Warning: Apple does not officially support linking to the libicucore.dylib library." In reality, how worried should I be about this?

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it, to be honest, as long as you stick to ICU's C API (as opposed to the C++ part).

As far as I understood, the original reason for not providing the headers was that the C++ ABI was not stable and so a program linked against ICU on one version of Mac OS X might not work on a subsequent version (assuming it went and used the C++ API).

This is also true for the C API. From the ICU user guide:
ICU Binary Compatibility: Using ICU as an Operating System Level Library

ICU4C may be configured for use as a system library in an environment where applications that are built with one version of ICU must continue to run without change with later versions of the ICU shared library.

Here are the requirements for enabling binary compatibility for ICU4C:

Applications must use only APIs that are marked as stable.

Applications must use only plain C APIs, never C++.

ICU must be built with function renaming disabled.

Applications must be built using an ICU that was configured for binary compatibility.

Use ICU version 3.0 or later.