On 1 Aug 2009, at 20:21, kvic...@pobox.com wrote:

At 12:09 PM -0600 8/1/09, Scott Ribe wrote:

Still though, Shawn's basic point is right: Ken is confused about memory
management *somewhere* in his code.

well... i'm not sure i'd use the word confused, as i do understand memory management, both in general and in cocoa. but i do have a bug somewhere that causes crashes sometimes when i quit by app and attempt to release IOKit/USB "resources".

I don't think this problem is down to confusion over memory management necessarily. It could easily be the result of an accidental overrun when writing to a heap-based buffer.

I would try enabling some of the malloc debugging features that you can find in the "Environment" section of the malloc() man page. You could also use Instruments to watch where that block is allocated and released and work at it from that angle.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net