A general question. Suppose I wanted to write a Cocoa application that could be accessed via a PHP script running on another machine on the local network, what would the general shape of the solution look like? The Cocoa app could run either as a command-line tool or a continually running server, whatever makes most sense. The PHP script? I know nothing....

The server would return an opaque block of data or text, which the script would end up emailing. The input to the server would be a variety of parameters, mostly in string form. The protocol between the script an the server could be entirely private, or could use existing protocols such as HTTP. How would you do it?

--Graham