I'm really not an expert on this but I had this situation myself and I chose
having one inverse relationship back to every object that could own a picture.
I don't like the looks of the model graph and I don't like the waste of memory
but it works pretty good in my case.
I tried the uber-super-class approach before but I couldn't get Migration and
Versioning to work.I can't exactly remember why, but I think the problem was
this: The migration system couldn't rebuild (at least not straight-forwardly) a
graph where a relationship's target class is an abstract superclass, since it
didn't know what concrete subclass the object should be made of. Sure there are
ways to solve this but I couldn't do it.

Best,
Sebastian