On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:31 AM, John Michael Zorko wrote:

Wow, it's late ... I forgot some of the code in the last email -- here's all of it (still not much, no worries). I see the "program exited with signal:0" error after this code runs for awhile, and there's no backtrace.

... and I run a thread to preload the next animation (this code always preloads the same one, but the idea is that they'll change, and I don't want to load them all at once and waste memory):

First, "program exited with signal:0" suggests the app was killed by springboard instead of crashed on it's own. Check the device console log in the Organizer window and see if it was terminated for a specific reason. I'm going to guess you used too much memory too quickly. You have maybe 10 MB of RAM at your disposal on a good day (on a non-3GS device). Realistically, if you go over 7 MB too quickly (before springboard can ask other processes to terminate) your process will be terminated.

Second, UIKit generally isn't thread safe and UIImage is a part of UIKit. You probably can't safely use it from a secondary thread.

Dave