You can call [[NSLocale currentLocale] localeIdentifier], to get the locale identifier of the user's preferred locale, and then create another NSLocale from it. This will be a locale that doesn't have any (not just formatting) user preference overrides in it but is still the user's preferred base locale. That might be close to what you want.

Contrary to popular opinion [not just yours], NSLocale and NSDateFormatter also do not know the element orders. They just pass off the work to lower-level libraries, which -- as far as I understand it -- also do not themselves directly know what the order is (only indirectly through sets of format strings). For one thing, the Short date format for a locale might have one order, the Medium another, the Long yet another, and so on.

Chris Kane
Cocoa Frameworks, Apple