On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, David Duncan wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply

On Aug 12, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Sven wrote:

      It works fine on the simulator but on the device it's REALLY slow. If I
set the duration to less than 5 seconds (for 25frames) the animation doesn't
      even play and I end up at the last frame after a pause on the previous
screen.

The skipped initial frames is a known bug. There are ways to mitigate it, but
there are a lot of variables involved.

I'm aware of this bug, yes.

      I have 25 frames each consisting of 376x540 pngs which are loaded in
before I start the animation. They are loaded into an array using
      imageWithContentsOfFile.

      I notice that the addAnimation call to add the animation to the CALayer
is taking quite a long time.

May I ask why you are using images that are bigger than the screen in this
case? If nothing else, your wasting memory. But the amount of content you have
(nearly
20MB of image data) is likely the most major contributor to the issues your
seeing.
Initially they were made larger so we can shift them around on screen without blank spaces appearing at the edges. AFAIK it's possible to position the image on screen and scaling it so that there are not blank spaces at the edges

      Or perhaps a different approach to flip book these images?

What is the purpose of this animation?
Also consider that if most of the content is static you will probably want to break it into static and animated pieces so
you can reduce the amount of memory required.

The animation runs on top of a user supplied image. All images in the sequence add to the animation, so there's no static content. It just rattles off the images. I'm currently experiementing with animating the contents rect instead.
Otherwise I am looking at using OpenGL.

Am I right in assuming that quicktime playback on the iphone does not support transparency?
thanks

./Sven