> On Mon, 2009/08/17, Renzil D'Souza <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From: Renzil D'Souza <ren...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Printing Multiple-Pages Issue
> To: "Graham Cox" <graham....@bigpond.com>
> Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
> Date: Monday, 2009 August 17, 12:39 AM
>
> No, I want control over how many pages I'm dividing my
> view into, and precisely how I divide my image into
> those pages. I'm writing a function for someone to
> print N images from 1 large image, and the user of
> the function may want to supply the ratios at which to
> divide the image (vertically only). I found out what
> my problem was - in my call to CGContextDrawImage(),
> I was passing the CGRect I used to get the sub-image
> which was wrong. That, combined with some
> transformation stuff in my code, messed it up.
>
> So if I print a really large view, it will print on
> multiple pages - is this what is meant by 'Collated'?
>
> Thanks,
> Renzil

>> 2009/08/17 Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com>
>>> On 2009/08/17, at 03:56, Renzil D'Souza wrote:
>>>  I'm trying to print a really large image into
>>> 'N' pages. So I over-rode 'knowsPageRange' and
>>> 'rectForPage'.

>> If you're simply trying to tile a large view
>> over 'n' pages, you don't need to do this -
>> that's what it will do by default with no
>> intervention on your part. Try that first and
>> see if it does what you want.
>> --Graham

I think Graham is correct.  Try it without any
over-riding, first.

I tend to think of what you describe as dividing
the page into tiles, with some tile size (usually
the same as the page size), and the amount or
percentage of over-lap.  (And then you need to
decide whether the user should designate the
amount of overlap in millimeters or inches or
pixels and which of these Cocoa expects.)  And
then you'd probably have to give it multiple
rectForPage
for each page you want to be tiled, one for
each tile.

I have not done this with Cocoa, so am only
describing how I think of it in hopes of
providing some insight and possible terms
on which to search.

Collating has to do with the order in which the
separate tiles and pages of a document are printed.
If you tell it to print it 3 times, page n will
precede page n+1, and each copy will be "together".
What order is proper for tiles is up to you, since
I know of no widely accepted conventions.