Hi everyone,

Is there some notification that's posted by the OS when a root daemon process is launched? Here's what I've tried:

1. Carbon Events - I tried creating a CarbonEventHandler to listen for kEventAppLaunched, but I did not observe any events come through after running backupd. It would appear (and the documentation seems to confirm this) that these notifications are posted only for processes that interact with the WindowServer.

2. Distributed Notifications - I found that the root daemon I'm trying to observe posts distributed notifications as it launches and exits, but I've also found that these notifications are not reliable and are sometimes dropped.

3. Polling attempt 1 - I created a timer that executes "ps aux" as an NSTask and searches the results for the name of the daemon. This works, but involves creating another process and searching through a string every time I need to find if the daemon is running (which is every couple seconds).

4. Polling attempt 2 - Again, I created a timer, but this time I used the GetBSDProcessList function (defined here: http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1123.html ). This also works and is *significantly* faster than creating an NSTask to run "ps", but it still requires me to poll. In addition, I still have to search through the entire process structure looking for the correct process name. However, since I don't have anything better right now, this is what I'm currently using.

Is there a better way I could be doing this?

Thanks,

Dave