That's a great idea - nice one ;-)

I've made some headway since my earlier post, by starting with Bonjour using NSNetService and NSNetServiceBrowser. I'm starting to form some slightly more intelligent (I hope) questions.

Port Number. Given my scenario wouldn't I need to use a fixed port number? If so, how do I choose one? Can I pick one more or less at random and hope for the best, or is there a way to get an unused one - but if I do that, how would all the other little micro-servers know to pick the same one?

Unique name. Since I don't think my service will ever be visible this isn't likely to be a big issue, but can I be sure that the host name is unique for example? I could always use a UUID I guess.

By unpublish I take it you mean calling -stop on the published NSNetService? Or is there more to it?

--Graham