On Aug 20, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Alastair Houghton wrote:

The -hash method is important for objects that are used as keys in associative collections. So the worry about the hash value changing when an object's properties are altered is a bit of a red herring, because you *aren't supposed to change keys in associative collections*. If you do that in just about *any* implementation, ObjC or otherwise, you'll get undefined behaviour.

So, in practice, it's perfectly safe in 99.9% of cases to base your hash off your object's properties. In the specific case when you're mutating objects that are keys in associative collections (NSDictionary and NSSet being the primary examples, along with their CoreFoundation counterparts), if you change a property that affects *either* -isEqualTo: *or* -hash, you need to remove the object before mutating it and then add it back again afterwards.

The documentation, nor did many others' comments on this topic, make it clear that the mutability is only a problem for the *keys*. Others and the docs talk about (paraphrasing) "putting an object into a collection", not "using an object as a key in an associative collection."

Here are the docs:

"If a mutable object is added to a collection that uses hash values to determine the object’s position in the collection, the value returned by the hash method of the object must not change while the object is in the collection."

If I follow this sentence, it says that if I put a (mutable string) into a (dictionary), the value returned by the -hash method of (the string) must not change while it's in the collection. It does *not* say that the hash method of the *KEY* can't change, it says the hash value of the object stored in the collection. Now maybe this is worded really poorly, but I think this is where the confusion comes from. It seems to be in direct contradiction to what you're saying.

If it were only an issue for keys, then this is, like you said, no big deal. If my reading of the documentation is correct, then it's a much more prevalent problem, as others seem to be saying.

--
Seth Willits