> i have come across this method in NSUserDefaults and it appears to be a
list of identifiers located on the current system.  my question is if an app
is deleted does its identifier eventually get removed from the
persistentDomainNames list?

Not unless your app's preferences file is deleted, and the system isn't
going to do that automatically for you. If you need the preferences file to
be deleted along with your app, your best bet is to include an uninstaller.
But the general Mac philosophy is drag to /Applications to install, drag to
Trash to uninstall; I wouldn't worry about deleting the preferences file
unless it contains sensitive data.

(For some reason this reminds me of those uninstall dialogs on Windows:
http://dllcity.com/images/missing-dll-cause.gif. Brilliant. =) )