I seem to remember you do iPhone development, so I'll answer from there, inasmuch as I can: you're not giving us much to work with here.

As to your last question: there is no way to gracefully exit the application. On an iPhone, you can't force an exit that doesn't look like a crash to the user. Not recommended.

As to your first question: wouldn't you rather fix the corruption issue with the save, than work around it? What kind of data are you saving, and how? Why force the application to quit at all? Is the app terminally crippled if the save doesn't work? You could set a flag (i.e. save a flag) when the save is unsuccessful and deal with it upon the next launch, but if that's a good idea all depends on what your issue is.

You'll have to give us more information to get an answer that's actually helpful, I'm afraid.

Hank