Hi all,

I have a project where I will be drawing nothing more than simple circles with lines connecting them. At some point, I will be animating these lines and circles to move them to another position.

I would like to:

(1) Display these, animated, on the screen; and

(2) Render the animation to a QuickTime file.

As far as the lines themselves go, a multi-layered CALayer (using CALayer's -addSublayer method) would work perfectly for viewing on the screen... but I don't know how to export this to QT.

So, I have two questions:

(1) Is there a way for me to create the animations with CoreAnimation Layers (CALayer and sublayers) and simply tell some object to write to file? If so, how?

(2) What is another method to create the animation easily? I would prefer that the same code be used to both display on screen and render to file; but it would also be acceptable to write to file then play the file on screen.

Note that I am going more for simplicity of code rather than speed performance, as the on-screen viewing will ONLY be for 'previewing' the output. All "publications" of the animations will be in the form of a QuickTime video.

-Christopher Kemsley
Sent from my Beautiful 17" MacBook Pro