Hallo,

I have a serious problem with using Apple's default shortcuts, that are
assigned in IB - standard and individual menuItems. None of the standard
items is called, if I don't integrate them in my performKeyEquivalent method
and tell what has to be done with them. The app crashes because the
FirstResponder stopps the responder chain with a call performKeyEquivalent
with the MenuItemDelegate, then finally __forwarding__ and then
__forwarding_0__ is shown, that's it. The app crashes with that.
I am using a subclassed NSTableView, which is firstResponder of the window
and returns NO for the standard ( Command q, c, x, etc. ) and undesired
shortcuts. The next Responder is another NSTableView which sets the first
tableView the nextResponder if itself is firstResponder and does not want to
handle the pressed shortcut or key. I have subclassed, because I want to use
some special shortcuts/keys, when working with the tableView, added to
the standard keys ( arrow keys, tab) of the tableView.

Using keyboard: The individual items don't call their assigned
action-methods. My desired shortcuts are integrated in performKeyEquivalent
and handed if neccessary to the keyDown: method of one of two
NSTableViews. Everything works fine for this, but I have to the same for the
Apple-Standard shortcuts: e. g. cannot terminate the app with Command
q, if have not integrated a method for that command. The terminate:
-method in the AppController is not called, so for now I am sending an
individual notification
from keyDown: and that works.

The menus are stored in MainMenu in MainMenu.xib. The MainMenu
is "standalone", the menuItems are connected to FirstResponder or the
desired classes.

When using the mouse, everything works the desired way.

I have studied all my Cocoa-books, browsed the Apple help, where I found,
that my apps' responder key chain behaves correct.

Maybe I am confused with the bindings of the menuItems. I have read,
that I have to add the desired action to the FirstResponder,
but it appears there before adding them, so I haven't added it, and bound it
to the shown actions.

Any suggestions are welcome, because I have no idea, what I could do more.

Thanks in advance
Reinhard Segeler