The bottom-line window approach was mainly for supporting Carbon applications that cannot be moved from the WNE design model due to its own legacy application structuring.

Since Cocoa is not based on responder message handling design, such event handling model is unnecessary. And the user experience was mostly accepted unfavorably by users, and, thus, Apple is moving away.

We recommend applications to integrate NSTextVIew for all text input needs. It allows you to take advantage of future text enhancements from the Cocoa framework transparently if applicable.

Another option is to implement the NSTextInputClient protocol for your text editing view. There is a new sample at /Developer/Examples/AppKit/TextInputView coming with Xcode 3.2 showing how to interact with the protocol.

The 3rd option is to implement the bottom-line window behavior by yourself using NSTextView.

Aki