Generally the idea of a splash screen (as this is called) in Mac apps is
frowned upon, by developers and users alike (though users seem to mind
slightly less than developers, from my experience).
What you should instead do, from my advise, is to asynchronously load your
data on a background thread, and disable any relevant UI elements in the
main interface until the load is done. This way, your main thread will stay
responsive, letting the user explore their options whilst they wait.

If you are targeting Snow Leopard, you can take advantage of Grand Central
Dispatch to leverage the async capabilities with great ease to accomplish
this feat. (Pardon the weird language, I've just seen Alice in Wonderland a
few times with the kids, it's stuck in my head now.)

Or, you can take the approach I just started with my apps at
http://www.thoughtfultree.com/ and display an introductory splash screen
that explains how to use the app using images (and movie files if needed).
Another nice example of this is in the app Things.app

That is all.

--
Steven Degutis
http://www.thoughtfultree.com/