So to be clear: if I create a TIFF image, with tiffutil -cat, that has 9x...@72dpi, 16x1...@72dpi, 32x3...@72dpi: - This is an entirely supported configuration, despite what man tiffutil says and the warning it generates.

No, these reps would not have the same -size. If you set the DPI metadata for the reps to 72, 128, and 256 respectively, then each rep would have -size 9x9.

This is what I meant above. It's fine to have different pixel sizes, but it's best to set the metadata so that the -size is consistent.

Okay, take 2 then. If I do the same thing, with 9x...@72dpi, 16x1...@128dpi, and 32x3...@256dpi (so the tiffutil warning isn't applicable anymore), will NSImage correctly use the more detailed image when drawing into a 16x16pt space? As I mentioned, Cocoa Drawing Guide > Images > How an Image Representation Is Chosen gives rules to be applied in the order of color space, dpi, bit depth. All have the same color space, the 9x...@72dpi matches dpi (when at 1.0 scale factor) and the others don't, so according to the docs it's the one that would be chosen, with poor results.

Best,
Benjamin Rister