On 8 Sep 2009, at 22:37, Jean-Daniel Dupas wrote:

Le 8 sept. 2009 à 22:15, jonat...@mugginsoft.com a écrit :

I am not sure if this is a problem unique to me or not but under 10.5 [[NSHost currentHost] name] or [[[NSProcessInfo] processInfo] hostname] were quick and easy ways to get an mDNS friendly hostname such as imac-2.local

On 10.6 I find that both these combinations block badly (NSProcessInfo merely defers to NSHost I think).

The list has a few references to the possibility of these blocking but I never encountered it until now. According to a stack sample getnameinfo() seems to be the library call that is blocking.
_mdns_query_mDNSResponder seems to be the actual blocking call.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

It's a system wide problem (try to launch OpenGL Profiler for instance, it take hours).
But it occurs only with some specifics networks configuration.
I had thought that there had to be some local configuration aspect to it. Connecting to other .local machines is none too swift on occasion.

Do you have "Internet Sharing" enabled ? That's what causing the issue on my machine.
Yes I do - though I don't recall enabling it or needing it.
The machine was upgraded from 10.5 and the blocking behaviour before went completely unnoticed. Switching to SCDynamicStoreCopyLocalHostName() has greatly reduced the apps launch time.

-- Jean-Daniel

Jonathan Mitchell

Developer
http://www.mugginsoft.com