On Sep 7, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Andrew Madsen wrote:

My app doesn't crash, and everything seems to work OK, but I'm trying to figure out what this means. This is my first garbage collected app, so I'm guessing there's something about the intricacies of actually using garbage collection that I'm missing. Any pointers?

It's caused by a change made to Snow Leopard. In Leopard, if you created a thread outside of NSThread or NSOperationQueue (e.g. with the pthread functions), then the thread would quietly be implicitly registered for GC. In Snow Leopard, it's still registered implicitly, but now the runtime whines to you about it.

There's a function you can call that gets rid of the whine, called objc_registerThreadWithCollector(). However, the function is only present in the 10.6 SDK AFAICT, so this may not be an option if you still need to target Leopard. If you do, then just ignore the warning, or create the thread with NSThread if that would be possible.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>