On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Colin Deasy wrote:

Ok so I have tried both ways, using the main thread for the download
messages and using NSOperationQueue to create separate threads & run loops. I'm still getting 30% CPU though. When I run it, my app seems to send the
kernel_task a bit crazy (that's where most of the CPU is going).

Sample your process and see what the heck it's doing when this is going on. Sounds like you've got some code in an spin-loop.

(If your process doesn't seem busy, use Shark or Instruments to sample all processes.)