According to the Threading Programming Guide [1], NSTask is listed under "Thread Unsafe Classes", which is explained as:

"The following classes and functions are generally not thread-safe. In most cases, you can use these classes from any thread as long as you use them from only one thread at a time. Check the class documentation for additional details."

Let's take that apart:

* "In most cases". Probably wouldn't pass my QA. So I search the NSTask class documentation for the word "thread" and find nothing.

* "use these classes from any thread". Not sure what they mean by "use". I presume it means "send messages to the class object or instances of the class from any thread". Am I correct?

Then, in the list archives I found this comment made just last year by a well-respected Cocoa programmer and published author:

"I often spawn a new thread for my NSTasks because it makes them easier to write. For instance, I can start an NSTask and then just call [NSTask waitUntilExit]..."

and no one called him on it.

What does NSTask being "Thread Unsafe" mean to you?

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock

1.
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Multithreading/ThreadSafetySummary/ThreadSafetySummary.html