From NSNotificationQueue Documentation:

NSPostASAP
The notification is posted at the end of the current notification callout or timer.

NSPostWhenIdle
   The notification is posted when the run loop is idle.

NSPostNow
   The notification is posted immediately after coalescing.

Since a run loop is a closed loop, I always get confused about what is the "end", and when it is idle. I guess the "notification callout" is the part in the run loop when notification inputs are processed and sent, but I'm not sure when that is, in relation to "coalescing".

In actual practice, I'm a dummy and think like this:

1. I have a hypothesis that a notification is getting posted too early relative to other stuff, so I want to delay it and see if things work better. 2. I have a hypothesis that a notification is getting posted too late relative to other stuff, so I want to make it happen earlier and see if things work better.

In my experience, it seems that the order of the above three styles from earliest to latest, is:

1.  NSPostNow
2.  NSPostASAP
3.  NSPostWhenIdle

Is that true? If someone can confirm, I shall file a bug and ask Apple to put them that way in the documentation.