I am rather sure because I logged the following radar on this issue:
        5046125 asl_set_filter does not seem to work for INFO, or DEBUG level
messages

Apple engineering replied with statements such as:
=====
... the reason you don't see Info or Debug messages is that the
syslogd daemon filters them.  If you want to change the filtering in
syslogd, you can change the startup options in /System/Library/
LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist (add <string>-c</string> and
<string>-7</string> in the ProgramArguments array).  That makes the
change "permanent" (until you change the plist again).  See the syslogd
(8) man page.

Alternatively, you can make a temporary change to the syslogd database
filter value using the "syslog" command-line utility.
     sudo syslog -c syslogd -d

This remains in effect until you reset the filter or reboot.  See the
syslog(1) man page.
=====

I logged this back in the 10.5 time frame, if you are seeing different
behavior between 10.5 and 10.6, then maybe you are seeing something new.

Jesper