On Sep 16, 2009, at 8:42 AM, Ivy Feraco wrote:

I think this is a pretty normal setup, but I don't know why the views (progressViews) with CALayers get drawn on top despite the fact that they are sublayers of a subview. Shouldn't they be placed on a lower z-order since they are down further in the hierarchy?

If I understand what your describing, then your hitting the fact that Core Animation renders via OpenGL, and by default (and this is unchangable via Core Animation) OpenGL content renders above all other window content, hence if you have a layer backed hierarchy and a non- layer-backed hierarchy, then regardless of the actual ordering of the views, the layer-backed hierarchy will draw over the non-layer-backed hierarchy.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing