On 16 Sep 2009, at 22:55, Johan Kool wrote:
Thanks so much!! That is indeed the case! I now use strunvis and it's all done in just 4 lines of code. (Well, except that I should still handle a returned error code.)

int len = [stringA lengthOfBytesUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];
   char dst[len];
   strunvis(&dst, [stringA UTF8String]);
   return [NSString stringWithUTF8String:dst];

Not to burst your bubble, but that doesn't look quite right. It fails in the case where stringA contains no escaped characters (including the case where it's empty) -- the terminating null byte isn't counted by lengthOfBytesUsingEncoding:, so it ends up writing one byte off the end of dst[].