Hello,

I am writing a framework which runs on both Snow Leopard and the iPhone (i.e. it is entirely foundation stuff).

I always write my init and dealloc methods using the setter functions, but I am wondering what the proper convention is for immutable classes? Should I write a private setter method, or is it ok to just set the variable in init and release it in -dealloc. Thus:

Option 1)
-(id)initWithValue:(id)aValue
{
        if(self=[super init]){
                [self setValue:aValue];
        }
        return self;
}

-(void)dealloc
{
        [self setValue:nil];
        [super dealloc];
}

Option 2)
-(id)initWithValue:(id)aValue
{
        if(self=[super init]){
                _value = [aValue copy];
        }
        return self;
}

-(void)dealloc
{
        [[self value] release];
        [super dealloc];
}

Is ether one better for a particular reason, or are they both ok, and it is just a matter of style? I am thinking that the second is probably better, because even a 'private' method could get called from outside of the class, and I couldn't guarantee it's immutability anymore. That is so different from what I normally do (I was taught to always use setter methods) that I wanted to check with the list first...

Thanks,
Jon