On Sep 18, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Stuart Malin wrote:
> I am under the impression that the reference returned by NSString's
> UTF8String method is valid for the life of the NSString instance which
> provided the reference (and further, that the memory of the referenced
> C string is freed when the NSString is released). Is this correct?

If I read the documentation, I get a different impression:
===
The returned C string is automatically freed just as a returned object
would be released; you should copy the C string if it needs to store
it outside of the autorelease context in which the C string is created
===
To me that indicates that the returned string may be autoreleased
before the NSString is released.

Jesper