On Sep 24, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Milen Dzhumerov wrote:

You got it right first time, many thanks. The images were created using NSImage's initByReferencingFile: which I presume only references the image file. That's what I thought at first (that CoreData stored the path to the image within the bundle so when the bundle was moved, it couldn't find the file) but then I looked at the raw data stored in the XML file (which was base64 encoded) and saw the actual PNG data with no filesystem paths. It seems that I there's more magic going on behind the scenes. In any case, thanks for the help.

I don't think this is Core Data magic so much as NSImageView's caching magic. I would expect an archived copy of this image to be stored only with its file reference, not with its data (while still attempting to reference the file when it's recreated). I would call this a bug if a careful review of the documentation doesn't reveal something you missed. Since I haven't used -initByReferencingFile: or tried to archive an image created with it, I haven't read the documentation regarding this approach, so I leave that to you.

In any case, you need to decide if you want to store the image itself (ie, its data) or just a reference to it.

If you only need a file reference, you can use an FSRef (lots of convenient Cocoa wrappers exist on the web) for anything before Snow Leopard or use Snow Leopard's latest FSRef-loving NSURL goodness.

If you need the image data itself, try leaving your attribute as Transformable and creating the image with –initWithContentsOfFile: or – initWithContentsOfURL: and storing that. I think that'll work for you. Alternatively, you could store the image's data as an NSData attribute.

--
I.S.