On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Bob Barnes wrote:
If I'm reading this correctly, not a given by any means, Core Foundation is trying to get the retain count for an object, possibly a CALayer, where the reference pointer is no longer valid, but how do I determine what object? I've tried running with the performance tools, which tells me where objects are allocated, but I haven't found anything that will help identify THE object that's causing the problem. I've tried Shark, but it just seems to hang with "Sampling...". Any and all suggestions welcome.

Try NSZombies first. Guard Malloc catches some errors that NSZombie does not. You can also dig around in the CPU register data:
http://sealiesoftware.com/blog/archive/2008/09/22/objc_explain_So_you_crashed_in_objc_msgSend.html

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler