On 14 Nov, 2009, at 22:25, David Blanton wrote:

Jens -

I am not sure from your response how the app will run when the user logs in.

Should not the app be installed in a particular location so that it starts when the user logs in?

And, does this not imply that the user should not have the option of specifying where the app is installed.

And, if there is a particular location to be installed so that the app runs at login are there not permission issues?

A user can decide which apps to start automatically when logging in, by selecting System Preferences > Accounts > LoginItems and then clicking on "+".

A finder type window opens and the user can select any program to have it start up automatically. So, no, the app doesn't have to be in a particular location and no, there aren't special permission issues.

Perhaps you could explain the need for the whole automation aspect. The first time I read your first post I also thought malware/spyware.

I need to create an app the is auto downloaded and installed from a web site when the user clicks a web page button. The app needs to be installed so that it always runs when the user logs in.