I think some of those values may be flipped:

NSMutableDictionary *dictionary = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc]
initWithCapacity:10];
[dictionary setObject: [NSNumber numberWithBool:YES] forKey:PIFirstRun];
[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] registerDefaults:dictionary];
[dictionary release];

if ([[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] boolForKey:PIFirstRun] == YES){
    [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] setBool:NO forKey:PIFirstRun];
    //first run
}