Window <-----> Toolbar ... always. You'll never have Window <<-----> Toolbar or Window <----->> Toolbar.

I thought this was stated in the documentation but I can't find it in the API reference or the guide at a quick glance.

I couldn't find it anywhere in the documentation. But the thing is, it doesn't seem like you can even move a toolbar from one window to another, even properly making sure that it never belongs to more than one at a time, without getting weird drawing errors. I didn't dig too much into that, it's enough to know that it doesn't work. But creating a new one each time DOES work and creates very little additional overhead, as far as I can tell.