As Uli pointed out previously, calling -initWithFrame: (or any init method) multiple times on one object is not a pattern you find in other classes/frameworks. You might have assumed a call to -setFrame:,

Sorry, that was what I meant, of course (setFrameSize is the name, I think).

if you assumed the same view was being used and resized, but that would be easy to test to verify your assumption.

Yes, I stand corrected.

On the other hand, I think, testing assumptions about an API is not The Right Way, because 1. you can never be certain whether you have tested all of your (possibly subconscious) assumptions; and, 2. if it's not written in the doc, an assumption might always become invalid, no matter how often you tested it, because the developers of the framework can always change their minds.

Granted, in my case it probably won't hurt, if the developers change their minds and in the future decide to *not* instantiate ScreenSaverView multiple times on the same display, provided my code is "multiple-instance-safe" ....

Here's another one (newly introduced) that isn't in the docs (as far as I know): to run on Snow Leopard on a machine whose processor is capable of running in 64-bit mode (all currently shipping Macs), you will need a 64-bit version of your screen saver with GC supported.

Thank you so much for pointing out this one to me!

Do I need to change anything in my code for that?

To run on Leopard and earlier, as well as on Snow Leopard on machines whose processor is not capable of running in 64-bit mode (Core Solo, Core Duo), you will need a 32-bit version of your screen saver with GC off.

So, is there any way to compile the screen saver into *one* bundle (or exec) such that it runs under SL with 64-bit proc's *and* 10.5/Intel ?

Best regards,
Gabriel.