I tried your suggestions. Unfortunately, I kept getting the same behavior.

I found out that if I create the preference file (in <user>/Library/ Preferences/), then the application will launch from other locations. But I'm still baffled.

Launch from Drop Box location, no preferences file: Success
Launch from Drop Box location, preference file exists: Success
Launch from Desktop or Applications, no preference file: Fail
Launch from Desktop or Applications, preference file exists: Success.

In all four (six) of these cases, the same user is launching the application.

When the application crashes on launch, there is no record of the +initialize method being called. When the application launches successfully, there is a record of the +initialize method being called.

I put an NSLog statement at the beginning and end of the +initialize method to track when it gets called on the test machine.