On 07/10/2009, at 9:14 PM, Rui Pacheco wrote:

So, were the data source methods available before 10.6 (I want my app to run on 10.5) and the data source reference is wrong or was the conceptual page for the combo box updated but not the revision date? Did anyone used the
data source methods before 10.6?

What changed was that the previously informal protocol became a formal protocol in 10.6

Unfortunately the docs suggest that the methods are new in 10.6, which strictly speaking is true - they are new to the formal protocol in 10.6, but they previously existed as an informal protocol prior to that. What's unfortunate is that the information about what versions introduced what methods is lost, and it's not possible to tell what is truly new, or what can be relied on in prior versions. I've been meaning to file a bug on this for a while, and you should too - the more the merrier!

The problem is really bad for protocols that add numerous truly new methods, but not too bad for those that don't. I think NSComboBoxDataSource is not too badly affected, but the only way to know for sure is to have some knowledge/memory/a copy of earlier documentation, which is useless for newbies (and those of use whose memories would rather not accrete that sort of knowledge) wanting to target < 10.6

--Graham