Colin Howarth wrote:

I don't know enough about what Quartz is doing. For instance, does it calculate the coverage of a pixel (i.e. the fraction covered) as a float and then use that times 255 for pixel values (for black on white) giving 256 steps. Or does it quantize down to 16 steps, for example? I expect it's using a double and compositing with alpha blends and all the rest :-)

First, it's usually doing sub-pixel anti-aliasing. Run the DigitalColor Meter app in /Applications/Utilities. Second, the type and amount of anti-aliasing it does is determined by the OS version. 10.6 has different defaults and options than 10.5 or 10.4 (e.g. the smoothing options in the Appearance prefpane). Finally, it's conceivable that anti-aliasing is done by a GPU. Again, support for that would depend on OS version.

So to reiterate what Ken Ferry wrote, there's too much information missing.

  -- GG