While restructuring some old classes I'm uncertain about the preferred way to access instance variables within their own instance:

I tend to defines all these variables as properties and use their implicit getters / setters, but ...

1. ) ... in the designated initializer I have to access the instance variables directly, because at this moment "self" is not yet defined, is it?

2.) ... are there significant performance issues or other reasons to prefer the direct reference to (or direct assignment of) instance variables? At least the code of the setters / getters might impact the performance, but I'd sacrifice it for the sake of a consistent code.

Any comments / suggestions?

Matthias