On Oct 10, 2009, at 1:13 PM, aaron smith wrote:

Quick question - I have a window that I run as a sheet, which contains
an NSTextField to enter a message. I have the window setup to close
the sheet when the Escape key is pressed, however, when the text field
is focused I can't figure out how to respond to these types of special
keys.

IIRC, this event gets handled by the button's -performKeyEquivalent: method, before normal key processing. You could override that method in another view to handle the Esc key, but it would probably need to be an ancestor view of the button. It might be easier just to clear the button's key equivalent property when the text view gets focus and restore it afterwards.