On Oct 13, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Sven wrote:

Thanks... I don't want to encode any audio files, I merely want to be able to get and set tag data. For MP3s I can use id3lib no problems, but that doesn't help me with AAC files. I guess if there's no way to edit tags via the Apple libraries (if I understand you correctly) then the only thing left to do is write my own.

You can get tags via QuickTime. The problem is that changing tags, in general, requires re-writing the entire file. I think QuickTime could be used to update those tags along the way, if it were reading the file contents and writing them out to a new file, but I don't know nearly enough about the very gnarly QuickTime APIs for that.

There is an open source project called AtomicParsely that is supposed to help with parsing and generating AAC metadata, but I haven't used it.