A few other alternatives come to mind:
- archive an identifier value that uniquely identifies the object you are dragging or - use and archive an instance of NSValue using the valueWithPointer: initializer.

<http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSValue_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/occ/clm/NSValue/valueWithPointer: >

NSValue conforms to the NSCoding protocol, you should be able to use NSKeyedArchiver to archive an instance of NSValue, write the archive to the pasteboard and unarchive it at your dragging destination using NSKeyedUnarchiver.

Kiel