On Oct 17, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Mike Wright wrote:

FYI, I haven't found any of the "Font Suitcase" files that have a data fork. The font is in the 'FOND' resource -- and all of those fonts work fine under Snow Leopard. Some of this legacy stuff is probably pretty hard to eliminate without nasty repercussions.

.dfont files, I believe, are suitcases in the form of data-fork-based resource files.

Fonts themselves were never stored in FOND resources. The FOND is/was just an index pointing to the individual FONT or sfnt resources for the font family. And in the case of Type 1 fonts, it pointed to the filename of the 'LWFN' file with the PostScript data.

(BTW, I spent 1988-90 developing a PostScript and TrueType font editor for a small foundry that went out of business.)