On 19-Oct-09, at 5:27 PM, Dave Keck wrote:

Would NSView's -getRectsBeingDrawn:count: help?

Well, I'm already using it in my own code where appropriate. (Or actually I'm using -needsToDrawRect:). But the problem is that a whole bunch of NSTableView cells are getting drawn that never got invalidated. I would certainly hope that NSTableView is using one of these minimal-drawing mechanisms, and I assume that it is.

I think the problem is deeper (based upon what flashes under Quartz Debug): I think the dirty rects are actually getting consolidated such that NSTableView no longer has the information it needs to do minimal drawing. I could be mistaken about that, though, if the flashes in Quartz Debug show only the area that Quartz is choosing to blit over, and not necessarily the area that was considered dirty and redrawn. (i.e. if it brings over merged areas for efficiency, for some reason; but that seems unlikely...)

Ben Haller
Stick Software