Your analysis (regarding window visibility) sounds plausible as non-
visible Cocoa windows have no "z-order".
I have logged: "6802899 Please add latent z-order to hidden NSWindows"
for this, but in the meantime I am left with having to move "hidden"
windows off screen and make then visible (then override
constrainFrameRect to not move the window back on screen).

Jesper Storm Bache