In general hiding bit of you interface depending on the state/ selection of you app is considered bad because it can confuse the user, if you disable elements then you are tell the user that the element is not available for the current state/selection etc., if you you hide elements then the user may think they have forgotten how to get to a particular feature and become frustrated as they try to find it. Also hiding elements can in some cases cause the remaining elements to move around which can allow confuse users (menu items for example), I am not saying you are wrong to do this in your case, only you can decided that.