On Oct 21, 2009, at 4:11 AM, Motti Shneor wrote:

Hello Steve, and thanks a lot. Your category is exactly what I needed. Although I already figured out myself the use of [NSApp runModalForWindow:] for blocking and the [NSApp:stopModal] to release the block, I still enjoyed the way of doing this seamlessly via a category. In my case I need 2 categories for NSSavePanel and NSOpenPanel, and some more implementation details.

However... I still have a few questions about your implementation, another about another implementation I found in an Apple sample, AND.... this code has TERRIBLY WEIRD and unstable behavior, when attaching these NSSavePanel sheets to a (Cocoa-wrapper of) Carbon Window.

So. First, I'd like to know, why you call on [NSApp endSheet:self]; after the modal loop is ended? If I'm not wrong, the "sheetDidEnd" selector is only called AFTER the sheet has been dismissed, closed, and released. I tried without calling this, and could see no difference in behavior. Isn't there a problem in calling this when no sheet is open?

In the docs for -[NSSavePanel beginSheetForDirectory:file:modalForWindow:modalDelegate:didEndSelector: contextInfo:], it says that the selector "method is invoked [...] after the modal session has ended, but before dismissing the Save panel. didEndSelector may dismiss the Save panel itself; otherwise it will be dismissed on return from the method," so the sheet hasn't actually been dismissed at that point. I believe I included it in case [NSApp runModalForWindow:self] failed for some reason to make sure the sheet was always removed.

Second. In another Apple Sample, which does almost the same, using a newer NSSavePanel 10.6 API's , there's something like

NSSavePanel *navPanel = [NSSavePanel savePanel];
[navPanel beginSheetModalForWindow: [sender window]
completionHandler:^(NSInteger result)
{
NSLog(@"Save panel dismissed - callback block reached.");
if (result == NSOKButton) {
[navPanel orderOut:self]; // close panel before we might present an error // [self application:NSApp openFile:[openPanel filename]];
}
[NSApp stopModal]; // end modal mode
}]; // this call exists immediately, but I need to block here, so...
[NSApp runModalForWindow: [sender window]];
}

Here, as you can see, there is another call .[navpanel orderout:self]; Again, isn't the conclusion block called AFTER the sheet was dismissed, closed and released? (my NSSavePanels are configured to "releaseWhenClosed"]. Also, what exactly is "orderout" ? could'nt figure out from the documentation.

-[NSWindow orderOut:]

Last (and most important) - Supposedly I use your nice category like this:

WindowRef frontWin = ::FrontWindow(); // get Carbon application front window. Actually, any carbon window. NSWindow *cocoaFromCarbonWin = [[NSWindow alloc] initWithWindowRef:frontWin];
NSSavePanel *navPanel = [NSSavePanel savePanel];
[navPanel runModalForDirectory:nil file:nil types:nil relativeToWindow: cocoaFromCarbonWin];

Then I'm seeing a host of strange and bogus behaviors.

1. The most severe is that the sheet opens BEHIND the application window, BUT is still the key window. So, the application is dead --- I can't click on the sheet (it's not front, and not active, does not respond to clicks). However, the main application window is blocked for events too! (I have blocked it via runModalForWindow!). so, I'm dead. User must force-quit the application.

2. The sheet opens in the wrong place -- just somewhere on the screen - not always the same place, but "favorably" when a centered dialog would appear. If then I try to drag the parent carbon window by its title, the sheet would "jump into place" and be dragged right. Events seem to be OK.

3. The sheet is invisible --- Although I get no errors from the application. However, the debugger console would (sometimes!) contain lines like this:

[Session started at 2009-10-21 11:01:52 +0200.]
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1346) (Fri Sep 18 20:40:51 UTC 2009) Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 1835 Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged. Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSOrderWindowListWithGroups: invalid window ID (1835) Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSOrderWindowList: NULL list pointer or empty list Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 1836 Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSOrderWindowListWithGroups: invalid window ID (1836) Wed Oct 21 12:11:53 Moti-Schneors-Mac-Pro.local NavTester[4398] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSOrderWindowList: NULL list pointer or empty list

Any ideas? something I forgot to do? What in general is the state of opening cocoa-sheets over Carbon-windows? When do I need to release this NSWindow? I don't wish to close the Carbon window, as it is coming from my host application!

You may not want to call FrontWindow() since its docs say, "Most applications should use call ActiveNonFloatingWindow or FrontNonFloatingWindow instead of FrontWindow because ActiveNonFloatingWindow and FrontNonFloatingWindow return the active and frontmost document window, respectively, skipping over other types of windows that may be in front of the active document, such as the menubar window, floating windows, help tags and toolbars."