I am going through mmalc's excellent bindings pages...and learning a lot.

But, may I ask 2 questions related to this, that I could not find in the archives.

1)

When adding a bookmark, the bookmark object is initialized thus:

- init
{
     if (self = [super init])
    {
        title = @"new title";
        self.creationDate = [NSDate date];
    }
    return self;
}

**property declarations for title and creation date are @property (copy) NSString *title // and NSDate * creationDate respectively**

Back in the calling method, creationDate is again called:

Bookmark *newBookmark = [[Bookmark alloc] init];
[newBookmark setCreationDate:[NSDate date]];

Is the reason that the date created in the initializer is an autoreleased object, and thus the method adding the bookmark needs it's own "owned" copy? Now I **thought** I understood this, but "title" in the init method is directly assigned to it's ivar, and also handed back to the calling method, without any further intervention.......or should I read memory management again!!! :-)

2)

There is a lot of discussion about the fact that dealloc is not necessarily called each time an object is disposed of. The rules of memory management would seem to indicate that in the case of initialization of doc.m:

- (id)init
{
        self = [super init];
    if (self)
    {
        collection = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];
    }
return self;
}

"collection" needs to be released. [ collection holds all the bookmarks].

Now, there is no dealloc method called in this project's  doc.m

So, my question is when is it appropriate to **omit** the dealloc entirely?

Thank you as always.